Whether you’re a young woman looking for your first OBGYN or a woman in need of a new OBGYN, there’s a lot to consider. Women’s needs are unique and often very specific, so having a skilled OBGYN by your side can make all the difference.
An OBGYN should be a partner and confidant throughout your entire healthcare journey, and know you just as well as you know yourself. It is essential you do your own research to narrow down your choices. Before your first appointment, you should decide what kind of experience you expect and find doctors and facilities that match your needs.
What to look for when choosing an OBGYN in Mobile, Alabama
Because there are so many things to consider when choosing an OBGYN, it’s important to know where to start. Here are seven tips to help you choose the right OBGYN for you:
- Research credentials – Making sure your OBGYN is board-certified is one of the most important things to do when choosing an OBGYN. That way, you can be confident in knowing your board-certified physician has the necessary training, skills and experience to provide you with high quality gynecologic and obstetric care.
- Check for any malpractice claims – It’s important to confirm the OBGYN does not have a history of malpractice claims or disciplinary actions. Check the medical office or state website. They should include information about their medical school, training hospital, certifications, and any malpractice or disciplinary history.
- Go for experience – Verify that your OBGYN has the experience necessary to handle high-risk pregnancies and complex gynecologic problems with skill and grace. It’s important to make sure you choose an experienced OBGYN that specializes in treating your current and future needs. For example, if you know you have a specific condition that may require specific procedures now or in the future, ask how many of the procedures the doctor has performed successfully.
- Research hospital affiliations – OBGYN’s are often affiliated with certain hospitals for surgeries, procedures and labor and delivery. This means the affiliated hospital will usually be the hospital where you receive your care. Check up on the quality of care at the hospital your OBGYN uses, because high rated hospitals and medical facilities often have fewer complications and higher survival rates, should you need their medical services.
- Consider gender – Above all else, you need to feel comfortable during each and every appointment. Don’t forget to consider your doctor’s gender while selecting your OBGYN. You will need to share intimate, personal information about yourself and your relationship(s) with this person, so it’s vital to find someone you feel comfortable with.
- Consider insurance benefits – In addition to all of the elements above, it’s important to think about cost. Look for an OBGYN that will optimize your insurance benefits so you pay the least out-of-pocket expenses for your care.
- Review patient satisfaction surveys – Take time to read what current patients have to say about your potential OBGYN. Gaining insight into how a doctor practices medicine as well as how well their practice is operated can really help you make your decision.
When you need expert, compassionate women’s healthcare, call Bay Area Physicians for a skilled OBGYN in Mobile. Schedule an appointment by calling 251-301-1145.